Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I hate wind!

It is so very windy today.  Desert sand in the eyes with contacts, not so much fun.  Pool class with wind can be very chilly.  Thank goodness the hot tub is just feet away.  After class it was a mad dash to the hot tub.  Walking to my room is a challenge because the wind is tunneled through the building.  Though, it makes me feel skinny because I feel like I am going to be blown away.

I have had an awesome time here.  The people are great.  I feel like I have been blessed with meeting so many people.  The lectures today were really informative.  We talked about barriers to a healthy lifestyle this afternoon.  Each barrier is a brick wall and you have to ask yourself, how badly do you want it.  Tonight we talked about intuitive eating and other types or eating (emotional, chaotic, etc).  Emily, the dietitian is a big advocate of the 90/10 rule.  Make healthy food choices 90% of the time and eat what ever you want 10% of the time.  I can live with that one!

Today we hiked the stop sign hike.  I now know why everyone complains about stop sign.  It is a paved hike, but you climb 1,000 feet in 4 miles.  It gets steeper the closer to the top you get.  My feet felt like I was lifting a piece of lead with each step.  I wanted to quit, but knew I could finish and so I did it!  It took my an hour and 10 minutes, but I did it.  After arriving at the stop sign, I had 50 minutes of walking that I still needed to do.  I could walk back down the hill, boring.  Or I could walk the flat trail that I had not yet traversed.  So I took the easy route and went flat.  It was a boring walk.  Going back down the hill would have been prettier, but I was alone on the trail with my headphones so I danced my way down the trail.

After hiking, we could do pool or curcuit in the gym.  I choose pool because I thought it would let my legs relax.  Marjorie, the trainer, had other ideas.  I don't know why I keep thinking pool is easy.  Maybe because it looks easy until you actually do it.

After lunch I had kickboxing which I loved.  We used the kickboxing bags which really helps you work your punches and kicks.  It is a great stress reliever.  I wish the Y had bags.  We then had the dreaded Mountain class.  In Mountain you ride, bike or walk on a machine and every 3 minutes you increase your intensity for 12 increases.  Everyday, there is a class that makes me want to cry and today it was Mountain.  But I did it.  And I am glad I don't have to do it again. Those 3 minutes are really long!

And then I had pool again.  It was easier this afternoon, but that was because I was so out of energy that I had nothing left to give so I didn't put in much effort.

The meals here have been amazing.  And, until today I have not felt hungry.  I was hungry while hiking because I had forgotten to take a break and eat my banana.  It was kinda funny.  I had to stop and think when the last time I had actually been hungry was.  And all on only 1200 calories.  Who knew 1200 calories could fill you up.

Todays totals:
Calories burned  2672, but I quit wearing my monitor at 4:30 pool class and didn't start it until actually hiking.
Calories consumed: 1200
Calorie deficit: 1400   168, 200 calories to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment