Monday, September 27, 2010

I am an Irongirl!

Yesterday, I finished my first Irongirl Duathlon!  3 hours 14 minutes 19 seconds.  My biggest acheivement that occured during the race:  I ran my first 2 miles in 26 minutes.  I never thought I could do that.  Biking was much harder than I thought it was going to be.  My chain came off twice, whenever I tried to go into first gear which was on most hills :(   As a racer we had complete right of way of the route so there was no stopping for lights or stop signs.  Had not realized how those little stops were affecting my ability to bike farther!  I walked my last 2 miles.  I wanted to run but my legs would not let me.
On the bike route, I stopped to help another competitor put her chain on.  She was in near tears because she didn't know how to do it.  I know I would want someone to stop and help me.  Besides, my goal was to complete the race.  (My motto of the day was, "It's a great day to be last!") On the last hill going back to transition my legs quit.  I couldn't pedal to save my life.  I got off my bike and me knees cramped up.  It felt like I had two giants balls moving around on the inside of my leg.  Each step the ball moved and I couldn't.  After about 10 steps, my knees only cramped every other step.  Then it was every third step.  I knew then that I could walk to cramps out.  I just walked until the cramps were gone.  I got back on my bike and rode to transition.  I walked out of transition and walked up the first hill.  I knew I couldn't run yet.  At the top of the hill, I tried to run.  My legs just wouldn't let me.  I walked the last two miles.  I did attempt a few short jogs.

My family was there to support me the whole time.  Erica was so cute with her sign held high above her head.  I knew where they were and could look forward to their cheers as I went by.  I don't think I could have do it without them!  Thank you Al. Mia, Erica and Mom.

I am now taking today to rest.  Will begin my workouts again tomorrow morning.  Today, I will refect on what my next big adventure is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment